Wednesday, July 11, 2007

foggy English day

GK: Hilaire, you know I heard that laymen were receiving the Host in their hands. I just have to shake my head, my good friend.
Hil: Ah, it is the Modern World breaking into the Sacred Realm. I would throw a few pews around if I had the strength, but those days are over. I'd walk to Rome, again. Only this times on my knees, but I only have the strength to pray my Rosary. Perhaps, that is best.
GK: If only our Faith were stronger-just the Faith of a child. We could go to Our Father and appease Him.
Hil: This democracy affair has just gone too far, too far. The priests are actually letting laymen take Holy Communion to the sick. Such a Sacred duty for consecrated hands. Remember the Frenchman Isaac Jogues who had his thumbs cut off by the Indians and had to get special permission from the Pope to offer up the Mass because he could no longer follow the rubric which declared that the priest must lift up the Host between his thumb and forefinger?
GK: I do. How many priests have I seen walking through the town carrying Holy Communion to the sick without saying a word. Oh the solemnity. Oh, the sacredness of that stroll.
Hil: Priests' work is priests work: the Mass, the Host, the confessional. We have always needed priests, but God worked miracles through them and with them. He seemed to multiply their slightest efforts a hundred fold.
GK: I marvel at priests. The temptations, the demonic attacks must be dreadful, but the priesthood is a Sacrament and they receive all that they need to perform their duties.
Hil: Until recently. Now it seems that their sacred duties are secondary, an aside.
GK: Yes, yes. I need a little mystery.
Hil: I had all the mystery that I wanted in the Mass. Now I'm given a meal without real fellowship.
GK: Father Brown has both mysteries. Let us receive Our Lord from his hands.
Hil: Yes, take me back to the Cross, the Foot of the Cross, before breakfast. You are fasting, aren't you GK?
GK: Of course, I am always ready to receive Jesus before 8:00 in the morning. Come on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.