Sunday, July 15, 2007

Sunday at Mass

I am being to feel like part of the present day Church. I have always felt united to the Catholic Church which is outside of time. A Church which has produced Saints throughout the ages and protected the Faithful with encyclicals, dogma, the Sacraments, etc, but I have felt isolated from a most churches which are in buildings today. When I would pass by a Roman Catholic Church I would bless myself because Our Lord use to be present on the altar, but, for me, this was no longer the case. Now the Tridentine Mass is once again allowed in these churches. May we all stand up for this Mass protected by St Pius V.
I first started going to the Tridentine Mass in at St Margaret Mary's in Homer. The priest said the Novus Ordo, but he had been a seminarian with Father Hatala many years before and he allowed Father Hatala to offer up the Tridentine Mass between Masses on Sunday. This may not have lasted even a Sunday after my conversion. People were directed to Father Hatala's house. The Tridentine Mass was no longer allowed In St Margaret Mary's. The word was that the Bishop did not want the Tridentine Mass in one of his churches, so we retreated to Father Hatala's little chapel. This was to be my life as a Catholic: little private chapels, other non Latin Rites (Slovac, Ukranian). It was like being an outsider.
I was baptized in St Margaret Mary's. I received my first Holy Communion there, too, but when I was married in 1980 it was in Father Hatala's little chapel. St Margaret Mary's was no longer open to Catholics who wanted to offer the Tridentine Mass.
After Mass today I bought the Vatican magazine, 'Inside the Vatican', which pictured Pope Benedict on the front. On the last page was a column by a Washington lawyer entitled, 'Return to the Baltimore Catechism'. It reminded me that when I began going for instruction with Father Hatala in late winter that he had begun instructing me out of one of the new catechisms, but it was unclear, vague and, I would say, not Catholic, so I suggested that we use the Baltimore Catechism. Father Hatala was very agreeable. He said that he did not like the new catechisms, but hadn't known how I felt, so we began instruction, again, with the Baltimore catechism. I often made it to his house three times a week, so by July I was ready to be received into the Church. Now, once again, I am ready to be part of the Church in a new way that I have not experienced before. May God and His Holy Mother, along with St Pius V help me help beyond my many faults.

No comments: