Saturday, July 7, 2007

The Mass is there for the Faithful

I was thinking that God knows all. Nothing, whether good or evil, is done in the shadows. If Vatican II was used to destroy the Mass, God permitted it. He knew about it. Satan was behind it and some men willed it, but God has all veto power. He has all power. The only problem for the promoters of evil is if there are God's servants who are willing to stand up and die for God's Sacrifice on the Cross.
I believe that the Sacrifice of the Mass will be here until the End of Time. I believe that if there is only one priest on earth offering the Mass that it will be here on earth until the End of Time. Ultimately, I think that this Great Sacrifice of God will be here on earth somewhere. It will never be ultimately destroyed because there will be Faith in the heart of at least one person who desires it and, so, God through His Love will offer this Sacrifice. All believers will benefit from the Sacrifice of the Mass and they can spiritually participate in It. It cannot be taken from them. Perhaps they would all congregate where that Mass is being offered, with that priest who is offering it in the Last Days. So in reality the Church cannot be destroyed in Time and the Mass will always be there in the Center of the Church. Christ will be Sacrificed daily on earth somewhere.
I never received Holy Communion for the first 26 years of my life, but I benefited from the Sacrifice. I was born in Germany where my parents ran an orphanage. There must have been many Catholics in that home. There must have been many who went to confession and who received Holy Communion. I benefited.
My grandmother came over to visit us in Germany after my birth. She got a beautiful wooden statue of the Blessed Mother at the Passion Play which is given every ten years. Later her hairdresser said that her family would become Catholic- my grandmother was raised Lutheran, but went to the Methodist Church with my grandfather (his father, who died at 94, was a Christian Scientist when he died.). Perhaps my grandmother's hairdresser offered a Mass up to God for my family, for me. Perhaps she prayed at Mass for me. She was not surprised when my Grandmother told herof my conversion.
When I was about 12 I went on an all star baseball trip with a team coached by Mr. Van Gorder. There were many Catholics on the team. We slept over Saturday night and on Sunday several Catholics rose to go to Mass. I went with them. I had no idea what was going on. I didn't understand the Latin. I couldn't follow the Missal. I looked to others to know when to stand and kneel, but I was there and I was impressed by the Faith and confidence of my teammates who followed the Mass and received Holy Communion.
Yes, I would say that I benefited from the Mass before I became Catholic.
After I became Catholic I was able to go to the Tridentine Mass. I received instruction from a priest almost daily before I went to my community college. Then I received communion in the Latin Rite with the Tridentine Mass. Later I went to an Eastern Rite Catholic Church where the Mass had not been changed, though sometimes it was said in an accurate English translation . (There we received under the appearance of Bread and Wine.)
But then I had a long period when I did not go to Mass. There was no Latin Rite Tridentine Mass available that I knew of. It seemed like going to an Eastern Rite Catholic Church was not right anymore. Though I knew the Rite and could assist the priest as a server, it seemed improper to attend since it appear that something was drastically wrong in Rome with the Papacy. John XXIII seemed to be sort of a transitional Pope. Paul VI had ushered in so many changes through Vatican II, along with the Novus Ordo Mass. Yes, Ubi Papa Ubi Ecclesia. but things were not right. People began to flee from this Novus Ordo Church. Sisters seemed to be pushed out of convents by the new beliefs. Churches were being closed. In Canada the State had to purchase Catholic Churches to save them from destruction as historical landmarks. Catecism became unCatholic. Things had changed. Though I was on a little island with the Baltimore Catecism, I was aware that I did not fit in this Novus Ordo which was being led from Rome and by Rome.
Still God has blessed me through Catholics who attend the Novus Ordo. Catholicism is not eradicated from Catholics quickly. I learned from students when I coached at a Catholic High School. I was asked by one of the parents to join a Dante group taught by two retired professors. I have learned so much as I have studied Dante over the last seven years. He attended the Tridentine Mass before the Council of Trent.
Then I was at the Chesterton Conference in June of 2007. I heard the wisdom of Belloc and Chesterton. I purchased a book entitled 'The Thrill of the Chaste...' for my daughter. I had the author sign it to her. I mentioned the Tridentine Mass to the author. She said that I should get get a spiritual guide. Little did I know that her book would become my spiritual guide and lead me closer to myself and to God. (She is a Catholic who probably has never been to a Tridentine Mass, but still she has Faith.)
I have read how the new Pope wants the Tridentine Mass in the Churches again. Will there be priests to offer it? There are many questions, but I conclude that God is still working in the hearts of many. If we show ourselves faithful enough the Mass will be returned to the alters of the churches. There Church will be here to the End of Time and the Mass will be somewhere ready to be everywhere if we, God's Children, show ourselves faithful. May our faith increase, even unto death. As DAwn Eden prepares herself for her future husband through a chaste life, so I can prepare myself for Mass and to receive Holy Communion and I can receive Holy Communion spiritual daily. God is present. We just have to turn to Him.

No comments: