Tuesday, July 24, 2007

'Once' and Natalie Cole

I watched an autobiographical movie on Natalie Cole the other morning. She narrates part of the movie and then takes over the lead role (as herself) after the drug rehab which helps her to grief for the death of her father at about the age of 14. (She wrote the movie.) It was a touching journey and remarkably close to, in many ways, mine: She began college in 1968, so did I; She was in boarding school when her father died, me, too; Her father's death was a shock to her (she did not know the severity of his illness,- I was shocked, though my father was killed in a car crash; She was 14 or 15. I was 14; She continued to go to boarding school, though she did not want to. I went to another boarding school. I didn't want to, but voiced no opinion, just did it. She got way off track in college far from her true pain, me, too.
There the similarities end. She had talent, got fame and money, but we both found depth in rehab, though she was there for cocaine, we were both there for surpressed grief. I was touched by her tale. I got a bit closer to letting the depth of my grief out. She apparently released her great grief.

I enjoyed the movie 'Once'. It is a rock musical filmed in Dublin, Ireland. It shows a deep love between a young man and a young woman. Both help each other fulfill their dreams and they don't have sex, though the guy wants to initially, then he backs off and enjoys the relationship. They respect each other and reach a depth of intimacy through music and chastity that they would not have attained through sex.
There are some great characters in the movie which makes a movie good in my eyes: the father of the boy is very good, hard working and supportive of his son; the drummer in the studio band is so good; the studio tech shows respect through his expected boredom. He is very sharp. The piano is great, as is the guitar with the hole in its body from all of the late night therapy seesions with the boy. I love compositions and this movie filled a hole nicely in me. I would love to mix something, but what!!?? (waffle batter?)

Movies are therapy. There is nothing like a good story and autobiographies are sooooo interesting.

No comments: